I don’t know if you have ever pondered over this:
(1) Thoughts can only be either about the past or about future..
In the present moment there will never be a thought, but only AWARENESS of “whatever there is.”
(a) a split second gone is past and if you catch your mind thinking about it, YOU ARE LIVING IN YOUR PAST. Something that comes so naturally to us and we genuinely never ever pay attention to.
(b) if you are thinking about your goals, your aim, your vision, and what all you need to work on to achieve it, or just planning for evening or tomorrrow, YOU ARE LIVING IN THE FUTURE.
(2) So, essentially if you pay attention, you’d observe 99% of your time (barring the time you are working on a project with 100% focus and attention) you are not living in the present, but either in the past or in the future in your mind, and that’s the reason for majority of our emotional and mental suffering.
(3) Past is dead and gone and absolutely nothing could ever change the past, because it’s gone! Of course we can learn from our past, but let’s be honest, the only place past stays is, in our memory and comes alive only in our thoughts. A split second gone, has no existence anymore, except in our thoughts.
(4) Future is just an “idea” – either fancy, wonderful, or fearful/horrible – and it’s sheer creativity of our mind, because in any case, we know it doesn’t have any existence except in the mind.
(5) Since Past and Future live only in mind, in the form of thoughts, they cannot be controlled, because both don’t exist. And I am sure you’ve spent or you still spend innumerable hours fighting with yourself to find out a way to control and change it. Whether it’s something to do with your employer, colleagues, your spouse, your child, your finances, your own career, everything that you are thinking – doesn’t exist.
So, the only way to get respite from continuous fight inside the mind is to BE PRESENT AT THE PRESENT MOMENT, that’s where we actually in true sense are BEING ALIVE!
PRESENT MOMENT OFFERS AWARENESS!
Please Note: You can check this with every thought that passes through your mind whenever, you can actually stop and observe whether it’s about a past event or a future idea.